HMP Maidstone Choir
Our aims: maintain mental health and retain a sense of social inclusion.
Our website is: www.choirsbeatingtime.org. In other prisons we bring in employers and develop links with the wider community that lead to job opportunities. As most of our members in Maidstone will be deported, that’s not helpful to them. However – bringing in the outside world – it’s optimism, reality, perspectives – is important to us.
Could you ask your singers if any of them would like to join us on a regular basis? The men are enthusiastic, talented and diverse. At one point we had 15 nationalities. At the moment we have a couple of talented pianists and a songwriter at the moment. I’ve attached a song..
- We are looking for no more than 10 regular guest singers
- Men or women
- Must be able to attend most weeks – continuity and consistency are important to people who’s lives are in turmoil
- 1.30 at the gate: 2-4 singing: out by 4.15: Wednesday Afternoons.
- You will have to be security cleared – to visit regularly.
- It’s in the chapel & we sing what members want to sing.
- Leader is Dominic Stichbury: https://www.chapschoir.com
- We are only there to sing – people have already been convicted and sentenced: we don’t ask and we don’t judge…
If any of your members feel they’d like to make music in a place where (we think) it matters most – please ask them to get in touch with me or Rachel Mace. They can come in 3 times before being cleared and clearance can take a few weeks.
Choirs Beating Time
020 8858 8080